As an admin staff member on an integrated club or high school account, you have the ability to import new rosters or update existing ones directly from your account. This gives you the flexibility to add multiple athletes to your SportsRecruits rosters at one time.
What is Included in this Article?
- How to Import Your Athletes Video
- Accessing the Import Tool
- How to Download Your Current Athlete Roster Data
- Matching Player Information (Step 2)
- Matching Team Information and Positions (Step 3)
- Clean Up Errors (Step 4)
- Completing the Import (Step 5: Final Review)
How to Import Your Athletes Video
This video will guide you through the steps of importing your athletes using the import tool. We recommend watching this video in its entirety to understand all of the steps of the import process.
Accessing the Import Tool
The import tool is available for Admin Club or High School staff members. If you are not sure which account you have, review this article on What Staff Members Have Access To. As an Admin, you can access the import tool by clicking the "Clubs" or "High School" tab, and then selecting "Athletes" from the left-side toolbar. Once there, click the blue "Add to Roster" drop-down in the top right corner. From here, you have the option to "Add an Athlete" or select "Import Roster." (The "Add an Athlete" option is helpful when adding a few athletes manually.)
*Pro Tip: Before starting any import, we recommend that you "Download Athlete Data (CSV)" of all of your athletes. This will provide you with a copy of all of the athlete's information currently on your roster in case athletes are accidentally removed during the import etc. This option can be found in the bottom right corner of the Athletes tab with your roster information.
The "Import Roster" is best for making several changes at one time. Click that option and then select "Browse" to find the roster document on your computer. This is also where you can find a CSV Template for creating your roster. We recommend downloading and using this template to format your rosters so that the import process is that much easier! This template is linked at the bottom of this article and can be downloaded to update your roster information if you are not an admin.
This article explains how to upload a CSV from wherever your file is created (Google Sheets, Microsoft Excel, Numbers).
*Note: The CSV Template includes column headers that will automatically map in the next step.
Matching Player Information
Once you have uploaded your roster, the page will load so you can see a list of fields on the left-hand side under "Match Columns." These fields were generated by the headings of the columns in your roster spreadsheet. You must match your fields to the corresponding field of the platform by using the drop-down selection in the middle column. This match process is necessary for all roster information to be included in your import.
There are four required fields that must be filled out in order to complete the import. These include:
- Athlete First Name
- Athlete Last Name
- Athlete Email Address
- Grad Year
If you do not want to include a certain field in the import, click the trash can icon on the far right side of the field to delete it. When all desired fields are correctly matched, the "Continue" button will turn blue and you will be able to click it to go to the next step of the import.
Matching Team Information and Positions
The next page is where you can match the team on the spreadsheet to the teams already existing on SportsRecruits and listed in the dropdown column. If you are adding a brand new team, you can "Create As New Team" during this step. If you do not match a team and select "Skip and Unassign," any athletes on that team will be updated on SportsRecruits but unassigned to a team.
Once you have matched the team, click the blue "Positions" button to the right of the "Teams" button.
Match the athlete positions listed on the left to the positions listed in the dropdown on the right.
- If a player has multiple positions, match the first one listed.
Clean Up Errors
If there are errors in any columns listed, a numerical value in red will show up next to it. (Example below shows 2 errors on the Athlete Email tab.)
You can navigate to review each field as needed by clicking on the title of the field. If there are more fields than fit on the page, an arrow will appear to the right of the last field on the page (Athlete Phone).
- Click the field with the errors and then click the red pencil icon to fix the issue. Once the issue is fixed, you will see the red "INVALID" indicator change to a green "VALID" indicator to the right of the information.
- If you notice an athlete's information is not complete or they should not be included in an import, you can click the "Trash can" icon at any point to delete the athlete from the import. You can add them to the roster individually at any point in the future, if needed.
- Note: If a field is "EMPTY," it simply will not be mapped and this information will not import to the athlete's account. The only fields that cannot be empty are the required fields: first name, last name, grad year, athlete email. You will see in the "Athlete Phone" field below, none of the athletes have phone information - the field is EMPTY - but the "Continue" button can still be clicked.
- Once all errors are fixed, click the blue "Continue" button at the bottom right.
Completing the Import (Final Review)
After you are done fixing the errors and click "Continue" you will have the option to import your new roster as a replacement or add to an existing roster.
Note: If you select "Replace Roster(s)," any athletes not included on your new roster import will be automatically removed from your overall SportsRecruits roster. If you aren't sure, with either option you select, in the next step, you will have the ability to remove any users or add users back to the roster manually.
Once you select the import option that fits best, this is what the final roster on the platform will look like. The number in red now reflects the total number of athletes that will be on your roster when the import is complete.
Make sure to double-check that all information is correct. Under the "Status" column, you will see a green "NEW" icon if you have added a new player and an "UPDATED" icon if the player already exists on your SportsRecruits rosters and is being updated.
- If you selected "Add to Existing Roster," you will be able to see all players - both new and previously added to the team - and can delete any individually as needed using the trash can icon.
- If you selected "Replace Rosters," you will be able to see the athletes previously on your SportsRecruits roster in the "Remove" tab can add them back to the Final Roster by clicking "Keep Athlete."
Once you have added and removed all of the players needed, click the blue "Submit Roster" button in the bottom right corner. The next page may take a few moments to load - do not refresh your browser! Once complete, a summary of the import will appear. "View updated roster" will direct you back to the "Athletes" tab of your admin account.
Click here to be brought back to the top of this article.
Download the Roster Import Template below to organize your roster information.
Check out our article How to Create a CSV Roster for the Import Tool if you have questions about adding your roster information to the CSV Template.