Through your SportsRecruits membership, you will have access to our in-platform highlight reel editor tool. Using this video editing software, student-athletes will be able to create highlight reels or skills videos. Follow the below steps to learn how to use our highlight reel editor to produce high-quality videos to use for your college recruiting process.
* If you have published a video from the highlight reel editor before August 2022, you need to republish your reel for you to access the download feature. *
Where is the Highlight Reel Editor Tool?
Go to the Video Tab
On the left side of the page click Highlight Reel Editor.
Note: The Highlight Reel Editor is only accessible when using a desktop (computer or laptop). When using a mobile or tablet device you will not be able to access the Highlight Reel Editor video editing software.
How Do I Cut up Clips in the Highlight Reel Editor?
Click “Create New Reel”
Enter what you would like to name your new reel or skills video
Click "Save and Begin"
Select the Video you would like to pull a clip from
- You can use video that has been uploaded to your video library or you can upload video right inside the editor tool. If you have video that is embedded, you will need to upload the original file. An Embedded video is unable to be used in the Highlight Reel Editor.
- After selecting the video you can now cut up your clips
You can use the yellow bars to indicate the start and end times of the clip or you can use the start clip and end clip buttons.
- **Note: There will be a 60-second clip limit placed on any clip created in the Highlight Reel Editor. If you go over the 60-second clip limitation a pop up will appear and you will not able able to add the clip.
- You can also use the cursor keys on your keyboard to rewind and fast forward within each clip.
- After editing your clip - you can then click “Add Clip to Reel”
From there name the clip, write a short description, and rate the clip.
Note: You are able to add as many clips to your highlight reel or skills video as you want. We recommend keeping the video to 3-5 minutes long, that's approximately 15-20 clips. We’ve recently discovered that coaches spend an average of 3:15 watching a single video. You don’t want to scare coaches off with a long highlight reel! **
To preview your highlight reel or skills video click the "Play" button.
After adding all of the clips to your highlight reel or skills video you can click “Publish Reel”
To confirm press “Yes, Publish”
The video will then be posted in your Video Listing and SportsRecruits profile.
Note: The highlight reel you create using the Highlight Reel Editor on the SportsRecrits platform does not have isolation effects or music.
Can I Edit My Clips after Adding Them?
Yes, to edit a clip after adding it to your highlight video or skills video click the blue pin-wheel or click into the clip. From there you will be able to edit the clip however you wish.
How Do I Download my video created in the Highlight Reel Editor?
After you have finished creating your highlight or skills video within the Highlight Reel Editor Tool, you can click “Publish Reel.” After confirming that you'd like that particular video to be published, it will be posted to your Video Library from within the "Video" tab and also your profile. You will then follow the steps below to download the video you created within the Highlight Reel Editor Tool to your device.
- Click the "Blue Gear" icon on the bottom left of your video
- Select "Download" from the dropdown
- The file will then download as an MP4 video file to your device
Note: You are unable to download your highlight or skills tape directly from within the Highlight Reel Editor Tool. You will always need to first publish the video to your Video Library
How Do I Make My Highlight Reel Stand Out?
Our production team at SportsRecruits has made thousands of highlight reels. We asked them to give us a few best practices in the highlight reel process. Check out their tips on our blog!
Not Looking to Build Your Own Reel?
We have an in-house production team that specializes in building highlight reels and you can check out some of our videos here! This professional highlight reel includes isolation effects, title cards, music, and a file that can be downloaded. If you would like to learn more about this process check out our article, "Steps to Build a Highlight Reel" or email firstname.lastname@example.org
SportsRecruits is a college recruiting website that was created for student-athletes and organizations to take control of their recruiting process. On SportsRecruits you are able to host all of your athletic information, academic information, and recruiting videos in one place for college coaches to see in just one click!
Are you looking to jumpstart your recruiting process? Get started with a free profile today!