We have an in-house post production team that specializes in building highlight reels and can create a professionally made highlight reel for you! Student-athletes with video on their visible on their profile are much more likely to receive college coach interest, and highlight reels are a great way to highlight your skillset.
Below is a step by step guide on how to get a professional highlight reel made by our post production team at IMLCARecruits. These highlight reels come with isolation effects, custom title cards, and can be downloaded!
1) Redeem a Highlight Reel Credit
I already have a Pro Account!
If you already have a Pro account on IMLCARecruits, either by purchasing an individual subscription or through your club/high school, then you already have a Professional Highlight Reel Credit available to redeem at no additional cost. This is a great way to leverage the events video you have included in your membership. You can skip to Step 2 below! (Interested in learning more about this Membership option? Click here.)
If you've already used your credit this year and would like to have another reel made, you always have the option to purchase additional credits here.
I do not have a Pro Account.
If you currently have a Free account, then you will need to purchase a highlight reel credit before you can complete and submit the reel form (Step 2).
- You can purchase a highlight reel credit with any event package or by itself here.
- Highlight reel credits do not expire and can be used at any time once they are purchased.
- Highlight reel credits can only be refunded within 30 days of purchase should you decide not to use it.
2) Complete the Highlight Reel Form
What is the highlight reel form?
Our online highlight reel form provides you with an easy way to organize and submit the clips you’d like to include in your highlight reel to our editor. It’s important that you take your time filling it out and make sure it’s very clear and concise.
How do I fill out my highlight reel form?
There are 4 things we need from you from each clip.
- “Clip Source” = the name or title of the file you’re sending us
- “Start time” = the time on the file that you’d like the clip to start
- “End time of the clip” = the time on the file that you’d like the clip to end
- “Clip Description” = brief description of the play occurring within the game footage/skills video.
Below is an example of a highlight reel form with the necessary information:
- Clip 1 Source/DVD #: DVD Name 1 or File Name
- Clip 1: 02:10 - 02:20
- Clip 1 Description: Goal
Where can I find my highlight reel form?
Your highlight reel form can be found under the “Videos” tab on your athlete profile. In the sidebar on the left-hand side, click "Professional Reel," which is right below "Video Library."
Your highlight reel credit gives you room for 20 clips.
You can fill out a second highlight reel form after you fill out the first 20 clips with the remaining information, and we will reach out to you for payment.
- We cap your reel at 20 clips because it usually results in a 3-4 minute highlight reel.
- Through platform data, we have discovered that college coaches spend an average of 3:15 watching a single video. You don’t want to scare coaches off with a long highlight reel!
- If you would like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips it is $100 per hour of work.
How do I select my best plays for my highlight reel?
While a lot of video is good to have, we recommend a mix of plays included in your reel, starting with your most stellar plays in case coaches only have a minute or two to watch your highlight video.
Here’s an article we’ve created that can help you decide which plays are best to include - "Best Practices on How to Build a Highlight Reel"
If you have a Pro account on IMLCARecruits, don't forget to review the film you have access to as a part of your subscription! For more information on how to upgrade to a Pro account, check out this article on Upgrading Your Account.
My highlight reel form won’t send because my “time codes are invalid.” How do I fix this?
Make sure there are no spaces before or after each of your time codes.
- Double-check to see that you are using a colon (:) in between your times instead of a period or semicolon!
- Wrong- 4:09
- Right- 04:09
- Be sure each time is written with four digits, two for the minutes and two for the seconds.
- Also, make sure you have filled out all fields on the highlight reel form.
What if I already built a highlight reel using the Built-in Editor?
If you are looking to professionalize a highlight reel that you have already built using the Built-in Editor, you still need to fill out the highlight reel form. Instead of filling out all of the slots in the form, you just need to fit the first one as follows:
- Clip 1 Source/DVD #: DVD Name 1 or File Name
- Clip 1: 02:10 - 02:20
- Clip 1 Description: All clips in the built-in editor project titled "name of the reel"
3) Send Us Your footage
What if my footage is already uploaded to my IMLCARecruits account?
Any footage already uploaded to your IMLCARecruits account does not have to be sent to us! We can easily access it through our database.
- On the reel form, put the following information for the clip source:
- If the film is under the "Purchased" tab, just list the game ID number.
- If the footage is under the "My Videos" tab, just list the name of the video.
- If you are using clips from events you attended as part of your IMLCARecruits Pro account, list the name of the video.
- Interested in learning more about this option? Click here for more information about a Premium Membership and check out this article, on the event film included in an IMLCARecruits Premium membership.
Can I choose my own music?
Of course! If you have a song in mind for your highlight reel, we ask that you send us the song file using WeTransfer. If you don’t have a song in mind, our editor will choose one for you from our music library. Keep in mind that including music is a personal preference, keep it appropriate (no curse words...) – most of the time college coaches are muting the videos.
4) Highlight Reel Production
What if I want an additional title card in my highlight reel?
If you'd like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips, it is $100 per hour of work.
If you’d like to list information in your highlight reel other than what’s included on the opening screen (name, high school, club team, class year, position, email address, and height/weight if you choose), we will have to fit this information on a second title card.
We generally recommend limiting the highlight reel to just the opening title card – the rest of the information is already on your profile!
You can also list any additional information in the “Description” section of the highlight reel, which you will have access to after it is visible on your profile.
Will I be able to see my highlight reel before you make it live on my profile?
Yes, you will have a 2-week editing window to work with us on any edits you’d like to make. We’d be happy to arrange your clips, adjust your isolation effects, cut down or increase the length of your plays.
If you decide to replace existing clips with new ones once a draft of your reel has been built, an extra fee may occur. We will go back and forth with you until you’re pleased with the final product.
How do I make my video live on my profile?
Once you’re ready to display your highlight reel on your profile, you can send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org during regular business hours! We will make your reel live for you as soon as possible.
5) Send Your Highlight Reel To Coaches and Future Edits
Now that my highlight reel is live on my profile, what do I do?
You’re ready to send your reel out to college coaches! Now is the perfect time to use the IMLCARecruits built-in messaging system to distribute your reel to your target list of schools.
- Here’s a sample introduction letter to a coach from our Help Desk.
How do I download my video?
Once your highlight reel is live on your profile, you will see a blue “Download” button to the right of your video thumbnail in your Video Library. It will take just a few minutes to download and will save to your computer.
What if I want to make edits to my finalized highlight reel after I get more footage from my season?
We can help you out! If you would like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips it is $100 per hour of work.
- If you would like additional editing for your highlight reel, please email this information to us at email@example.com so we can get started.
How do I upload my highlight reel to YouTube or Vimeo?
Your highlight reel is already live on your SportsRecruits profile, so uploading it to YouTube, Vimeo, or any other site you use is secondary. You will first have to download your reel to your computer by clicking the blue “download” button to the right of the video thumbnail and then upload it to the site of your choice.
If you still want to learn more about the do’s and don’ts about building a highlight reel, check out this blog post!
What is IMLCARecruits?
IMLCARecruits is a recruiting platform for men's lacrosse student-athletes looking to play lacrosse at the collegiate level. On IMLCARecruits you are able to put all of your academic and athletic information, as well as recruiting video in one place for college coaches to easily view, and start evaluating.
IMLCARecruits also provides student-athletes with an advanced school search tool to search for schools that fit their criteria, a messaging system that allows student-athletes to message any men's lacrosse coach in the nation, and a tracking system to know exactly which coaches are looking at your profile, video, or transcript.
With these tools, student-athletes are able to navigate the recruiting process with ease. Ready to get started? Sign up here today!