SportsRecruits can help you build a highlight reel! We have an in-house production team that specializes in building highlight reels, and you can review some of their work and professionally made highlight reels here!
College recruiting videos help you stand out to college coaches. Below are the steps and some frequently asked questions about how to create highlight reels with SportsRecruits. Follow the steps below to get started!
1) Redeem a Highlight Reel Credit
I already have a credit through my Premium or Club/High School Membership.
If you have either a Premium SportsRecruits membership or a SportsRecruits membership through your club/high school, then you already have available to you one Professional Highlight Reel Credit to redeem each year at no additional cost. You can jump to Step 2 below! (Interested in learning more about this Membership option? Click here.)
And if you've already used your credit this year, you always have the option to purchase additional credits here.
I do not have a Premium or Club/High School Membership with SportsRecruits.
If you do not have a Premium Membership or a membership through your club/high school, then you will need to purchase a highlight reel credit before you can complete and submit the reel form (Step 2).
- You can purchase a highlight reel credit with any event package, or by itself here.
- Highlight reel credits do not expire and can be used at any time once they are purchased.
- Highlight reel credits can only be refunded within 30 days of purchase should you decide not to use it.
2) Complete the Highlight Reel Form
What is the highlight reel form?
Our online highlight reel form provides you with an easy way to organize and submit the clips you’d like to include in your highlight reel to our editor. It’s important that you take your time filling it out and make sure it’s very clear and concise.
How do I fill out my highlight reel form?
There are 4 things we need from you for each clip.
- “Clip Source” = the name or title of the file you’re sending us
- “Start time” = the time on the file that you’d like the clip to start
- “End time of the clip” = the time on the file that you’d like the clip to end
- “Clip Description” = brief description of the play occurring within the game footage/skills video.
Below is an example of a highlight reel form with the necessary information:
- Clip 1 Source/DVD #: DVD Name 1 or File Name
- Clip 1: 02:10 - 02:20
- Clip 1 Description: Goal
Where can I find my highlight reel form?
Your highlight reel form can be found under the “Videos” tab on your athlete profile. In the sidebar on the left-hand side, right below "Video Library," you will see a tab for Professional Reel. Reference the video provided above.
Your purchased highlight reel credit gives you room for 20 clips.
If you would like more than 20 clips included in your highlight reel, you can fill out a second highlight reel form after you fill out the first with the remaining clips and information. More than 20 clips comes at an additional cost. We will reach out to you for payment.
- We cap your reel at 20 clips because it usually results in a 3-4 minute highlight reel.
- We’ve recently discovered that coaches spend an average of 3:15 watching a single video. You don’t want to scare coaches off with a long highlight reel!
- If you would like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips it is $100 per hour of work.
How do I select my best plays for my highlight reel?
While a lot of video is good to have, we recommend a mix of plays included in your reel, starting with your most stellar plays in case coaches only have a minute or two to watch your highlight video.
Here’s an article we’ve created that can help you decide which plays are best to include - "Best Practices on How to Build a Highlight Reel"
My highlight reel form won’t send because my “time codes are invalid.” How do I fix this?
Make sure there are no spaces before or after each of your time codes.
- Double check to see that you are using a colon (:) in between your times instead of a period or semicolon!
- Be sure each time is written with four digits, two for the minutes and two for the seconds.
- Wrong- 4:09
- Right- 04:09
Also, make sure you have filled out all fields on the highlight reel form!
What if I already built a highlight reel using the Built-in Editor?
If you are looking to professionalize a highlight reel that you have already built using the Built-in Editor, you still need to fill out the highlight reel form. Instead of filling out all of the slots in the form, you just need to fill the first one as follows:
- Clip 1 Source/DVD #: Built-in Editor
- Clip 1: 02:10 - 02:20
- Clip 1 Description: All clips in the built-in editor project titled "name of the reel"
3) Send Us Your footage
What if my footage is already posted to my SportsRecruits profile?
Any footage already posted to your student-athlete profile does not have to be sent to us! We can easily access it through our database.
- On the reel form, put the following information for the clip source:
- If the film is under the "Purchased" tab, just list the game ID number.
- If the footage is under the "My Videos" tab, just list the name of the video.
Can I choose my own music?
Of course! If you have a song in mind for your highlight reel, we ask that you send us the song file using WeTransfer. If you don’t have a song in mind, our editor will choose one for you from our music library. Keep in mind that including music is a personal preference – most of the time college coaches are muting the videos.
4) Highlight Reel Production
What if I want an additional title card in my highlight reel?
If you'd like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips, it is $100 per hour of work.
If you’d like to list information in your highlight reel other than what’s included on the opening screen (name, high school, club team, class year, position, email address, and height/weight if you choose), we will have to fit this information on a second title card.
We generally recommend limiting the highlight reel to just the opening title card – the rest of the information is already on your profile!
You can also list any additional information in the “Description” section of the highlight reel, which you will have access to after it’s live on your profile.
Will I be able to see my highlight reel before you make it live on my profile?
Yes, you will have a 2-week editing window to work with us on any edits you’d like to make. We’d be happy to arrange your clips, adjust your isolation effects, cut down or increase the length of your plays.
If you decide to replace existing clips with new ones once a draft of your reel has been built, an extra fee may occur. We will go back and forth with you until you’re pleased with the final product.
How do I make my video live on my profile?
Once you’re ready to display your highlight reel on your profile, you can send us an email at email@example.com during regular business hours! We will make your reel live for you as soon as possible.
5) Send Your Highlight Reel To Coaches and Future Edits
Now that my highlight reel is live on my profile, what do I do?
You’re ready to send your reel out to college coaches! Now is the perfect time to use the SportsRecruits built-in messaging system to distribute your reel to your target list of schools.
- Here’s a sample introduction letter to a coach from our Help Desk.
How do I download my video?
Once your highlight reel is live on your profile, you will see a blue “Download” button to the right of your video thumbnail in your Video Library. It will take just a few minutes to download and will save to your computer.
What if I want to make edits to my finalized highlight reel after I get more footage from my season?
We can help you out! If you would like any additional editing services such as extra title cards and clips it is $100 per hour of work.
- If you would like additional editing for your highlight reel, please email this information to us at firstname.lastname@example.org so we can get started.
How do I upload my highlight reel to YouTube or Vimeo?
Your highlight reel is already live on your SportsRecruits profile, so uploading it to YouTube, Vimeo, or any other site you use is secondary. You will first have to download your reel to your computer by clicking the blue “download” button to the right of the video thumbnail and then upload it to the site of your choice.
If you still want to learn more about the do’s and don’ts about building a highlight reel, check out this blog post!
SportsRecruits is a platform that empowers high school student-athletes in the college athletic recruiting process. Student-athletes can build an online profile with their athletic and academic stats, highlight reels, and contact college coaches. With SportsRecruits, our Messaging system has all the updated contact information of college coaches. No more wasting precious time searching for an updated email address.
You also receive real-time notifications when a college coach looks at your profile, watches your highlights, and downloads your transcript. We believe in transparency when it comes to the college recruiting process. Click here to learn more about receiving instant text messages and email notifications.
Get started today with a free SportsRecruits profile here!